Friday, September 19, 2008

Pale over Palin

True to form, I've been a little lazy with the blog lately. Mainly because I've simply spent all my time working and secondly, I have little that interests me right now. But I digress..

Something has me a little fired up. Palin. Now, it's obvious that I'm a liberal democrat. I believe in global warming, higher taxes for the rich, better foreign policy, blah blah blah. You know the spiel. So my comments may not come as a surprise regarding the republican VP candidate Palin. Now, besides being a democrat, I'm a woman (well, that's obvious), white and middle class. I may one day be categorized as a white suburban mom. So, given these obvious "statistics" I am outraged with other white, middle class suburban woman and this swing towards McCain/Palin. Now, I know that the woman in our country have fought for equal rights for woman in the work force and have fought for the right to leave their children at home and work in a "man's world." I am thankful for those protests and for the choice to stay at home with my children or go to work to make an equal wage to a man. Go She-rah hear me roar!

However, our current generation of new mothers/soon to be mothers no longer have to prove that we can make it in a man's world. We've fought and won the right to work and not be forced to stay at home. And therein lays my issue with Palin. What mother, with a new infant...let me rephrase that...handicapped infant...would CHOOSE to run for one of the most stressful jobs in our country and therefore leave the care and raising of her baby to another? (I hear the boos and hisses from those of you who support her decision to fight for woman's rights and lead a career in government.) I know I sound like a sexist man or a kept woman but in fact, I'm a woman who loves to work, loves my freedom, but I would hands down ANY day make the choice to stay at home and raise my children myself if financially able. Especially a child with Down Syndrome or any handicap for that fact. So for that fact alone I'm upset with her choice to run as VP.

Secondly, my liberal views on global warming and wanting to leave the world in a better place than I found it is very strong. One of my strongest beefs with the Republican Party as a whole is their belief that global warming is not caused by our treatment of the earth. Now, I'm not a scientist, but you've got to figure that with the industrialization of our world, we're probably not doing the best for mother earth. So, this leads to my second bone of contention with Palin. As Alaska's governor, she allowed (along with the Bush administration) the drilling for oil in our nation's wild life refuges. Oh, and did I mention that she doesn't believe that polar bears are going extinct? I mean, according to republicans, the ice caps aren't melting because of global warming and therefore polar bears aren't dying out. . (Let's just ignore the obvious here and keep raping the world for our own human benefit.) What's at stake here? I guess as long as we have our SUV's in our driveway full of gas refined from our nations wildlife sanctuaries, outside our McMansions filled with crap we don't need, next to our neighbor who bought a house he can't afford and now is being bailed out by the government, we can be happy that we achieved the American dream. (A run-on sentence, I know) After all, bigger is better, the more you spend the better you look, the better you look to others the more self esteem you have for yourself for which you can sit back and gloat..."I got this here with my tax refund check."

Enough already...I'm all riled up now...

1 comment: