Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mackenzie Gets Hitched

It may have taken me a month to write this post, but better late than not at all. Following Christmas in Chicago we trekked through fog so thick I thought we were driving in the middle of a cream puff to arrive in Galena, IL for my friend Mackenzie's wedding on December 27th. Now, a little background...

Mackenzie and I met on my unit, IPCU here in Iowa several years ago. We've shared many memories together including birthdays, parties, work, and our own respective weddings. Shortly after we moved to Texas, Mackenzie and her boyfriend at the time (Meryl), moved to Philadelphia. They met at the U as well while she worked in the surgical ICU. He was a neurosurgeon. I could say something witty about chemistry or how they "cared" for each other but I'll spare you the puns.

So, the wedding was held in an old Catholic church in downtown Galena and the reception was followed at the Desoto Hotel. You can tell from the pics how beautiful the place was so little needs to be said on that front. Likewise you can image how beautiful the wedding was...ok...I'll stop saying beautiful...well except to say that the bride was beautiful...that's a given. We had a wonderful time...except for our room.

(Side note: The room sucked. I don't know who designed the Desoto House website, or rather, who determined that the term "courtyard view" should be used in their advertising. What does "courtyard view" mean to you? To me it means overlooking some sort of courtyard, more than likely a green space outside. Right? Well, the courtyard is inside, is where the reception was held and where some asshole woke me up at 8am playing a damn piano!!! I wanted the "courtyard view" thinking it would be quiet! When choosing between a street view or a courtyard view you think you're choosing between traffic and a peaceful green space. How freaking deceiving! I restrained myself from commenting on the comment card figuring the housekeeper would just throw it out anyways. I feel sorry for any people who also chose the "courtyard view" and weren't there for the wedding. How would you like to be listening to "I like big butts and I cannot lie.." while you're trying to fall asleep?)

At 10pm when the reception ended, we joined some of the wedding party and went to a local burger joint and sang karaoke. This was probably my favorite part of the evening because Meryl and Mackenzie joined us and we had time to connect a little more personally that we didn't have at the wedding.

Here ends the summation of a winter weekend in Galena at a fabulous wedding. Enjoy the pics compliments of Chris.



"Song of the Day":


No comments: