Friday, September 25, 2009

Babies should come on ebay

Pregnancy....are some women just not meant to host a life form?  A friend of mine often comments that babies should come on ebay.  As much as I enjoy this wonderful sensation and the joy of becoming a mother, I can't help but think the ebay route may be more pleasant than the current one.  Every week one "symptom of pregnancy" is exchanged for another.  Just when I'm excited over the end of one ache, a new one takes it's place.  And most of these "pains" can occur with pregnancy, but aren't exactly the norm.  Take for instance my new onset of pregnancy induced carpal tunnel symptoms. (Luckily not true carpal tunnel as it should resolve after the baby is born.)  Are you kidding me? In the course of 2 weeks I go from feeling a little stiff in my right hand and wrist to significant pain with any use of my thumb or wrist.  I just thought I might be having some arthritis pain.  (Although I'm glad it's not arthritis, at least I wouldn't have to wear this darn splint on my wrist all the time.)   


On another note, we mentioned in a previous post that I have a marginal previa. We had a repeat ultrasound this week and found that the placenta is no longer a previa, but is considered low-lying. This means, I have another ultrasound at 32 weeks to see if it's progressed past the goal of 2cm away from the cervix. If it doesn't there still may be a chance that I'll need a c-section to prevent any complications related to bleeding etc during the actual birth. It's good news that's it's moving, just that it still has room to go.  And given the time and money we're investing the Bradley classes, it better damn well move!


During the same ultrasound they were also following up on a slightly enlarged kidney of the baby. It's still within the normal range but is on the high end.  Since it is only one kidney, it more than likely could be due to a ureter issue (most common in boys we're told).  Since we don't know the sex (even the Dr was unable to tell due to the baby's position and size) it's unclear what the issue could be.  But they aren't worried about it and will follow up on that at the next ultrasound as well.  More about the baby...it's around 2 lbs and 14 inches long.  Everything else looks great and it's finally head down...and will hopefully stay that way.  I was happy to finally get a read on it's position because I feel "kicking" everywhere so had no idea what position it was in.  On a funny note, Chris was a little unhappy with the profile because he's convinced the baby will have his recessed jaw.  Ha Ha Ha....if only you heard the conversation about that one.  Although we do have more pics, they're basically the same stuff as last time, so we'll probably not post them. 


That's basically the update for now.  Hopefully we'll be posting some pics of the nursery soon.  My first shower is in a few weeks so maybe there will be more decor to enhance it's fabulousness. 

3 comments:

Bev said...

I'm working furiously on the room decor. Hope you like it! (Andrea's helping.
mom

Bruce said...

Chris is actually right. Flip does have a recessed mandible. All newborns do. Only very, very few are truly micrognanthic, however, and the mandible will grow rapidly over the first few weeks ex-utero.

Tina said...

I have to say, there was hardly anything I "enjoyed" about pregnancy; it was a means to an end. Unfortunately the end kind of sucks too, but 8+ weeks postpartum really starts to get fun. I always feel like a major downer when I comment about these things, but I am truly happy to have my two kids AND am actually enjoying being home with them.