Sunday, March 28, 2010

12 Weeks or 3 Months?

Yesterday I was looking at my calendar and was writing in on the appropriate days when Ava would be 4 months, 5 months etc and came to the realization that these "months" do not necessarily match up with actual months of the calendar. Obvious, I know, but not realized until now nonetheless. So, since I'm not sure what the appropriate time frame for "months old" is, I'm going to start posting her significant "month milestones" as weeks. Anyone who can shed light on the subject, feel free to comment. So, 12 weeks. A lot has been accomplished in such a short period of time. Ava is holding up her head all on her own when sitting upright. She has moderate trunk control but still topples over when sitting unassisted. She loves to grab at toys and can shake her toys that make noise (although I suspect it's simply because it's within her reach and not due to the noise factor...yet). Her tummy skills are improving and she's doing mini-pushups. Looking into a mirror helps her achieve this. Her cooing is so vocal that she often carries on one sided conversation with her giraffe for at least 45 minutes at a time. She "stands" when agitated and not wanting to be held. Her fists are her best friends and are forever in her mouth (and if something is within her grasp and able to be pulled to her mouth it will inevitably end up soggy). She smiles at everyone who talks and/or smiles at her. She sleeps at night from 8pm until 8am with a sleep feeding at around 5 am. And although I'm sure there are other important things I've forgotten, these are the main things that come to mind.







5 comments:

Bruce said...

Go with months. Otherwise, you're going to get pretty confused when you're comparing 1 year (52 weeks) milestones with what you would call 12 'months' (48 weeks). And then Ava will have an identity crisis or demand multiple birthdays based on weeks, months, etc. Or she'll think there are 13 months in a year. Oh, the nightmares...

Susan S. said...

OMG weeks vs months!!! I couldn't stand it when people would be all "she's 27 weeks old... Who can do the math that fast and carry on a conversation?? Not me... I agree with Bruce, go for months. And on top of that, when she turns 1, 1+3 mos is "just over 1". 1+6 mos is "1.5". anything after 1yr 7 mos is "almost 2". Then you won't get the blank stares as they are trying to figure out how old a 19 month old baby is... Anyone else agree??

Susan S. :)

Bruce said...

Re: Susan

Developmentally, it makes sense to discuss them in months until they hit two years of age. It's a Parent Speak thing -- (educated) parents generally can translate 18 months into a picture of what the baby should be doing. After two years, it's more variable.

My thinking is that weeks need to disappear past Week 8. Then it's months until 2 years of age. Then years until you start forgetting and having to calculate if you can just remember what year they were born in (and what year it is now).

Anonymous said...

In case you haven't figured it out, Bruce is a doctor. I agree on the months thing, but my question is, do you say month on the actual day of the month (ex april 1, may 1 etc) or by weeks month (hence the 13 months in a year).

Bev said...

young people make things so complicated! weeks until 1 month. then months until 1 year. how easy is that. and emily, on the day. she's 3 months old today!
gramma bev