Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Curious Case of the Exploding Ava

Somewhere around the 2 month mark it became apparent that Ava was reaching a new milestone. The art of diaper-filling, clothes-ruining super-poops. This morning I was in bed with her (and no I do not believe in co-sleeping...I was just trying to shut my eyes while she played with her fists) when suddenly the bed shook from the propulsion of poop out of Ava's butt. This of course was followed by her usual UGH. At the time, however, I though it was simply gas so I did nothing about it. She continued to play and I continued to "rest my eyes." Some time later I picked her up to feed her. Whether it was my picking her up that caused the spreading, or if it happened while on the bed I can't be sure. All I know is that the longer I held her while feeding her, the warmer and wetter my arm became. After her feast I carried her into her bedroom to survey the damage. Not only did it leak out the top of the diaper, but spread so far up her back that it coated the chest strap she wears at her nipple line for her EKG monitor. (Luckily she was wearing the strap as I'm sure it would have ended up in her hair.) Needless to say we both had a bath

To date we've ruined 3 onesies, 4 sleepers (one more sleeper than onesie as one poop went down her leg) 2 car seat explosions, 1 bouncer disaster, and a total bed change of MY sheets. Not to mention the numerous poop showers she's given Chris while he's changing her diapers

For now I think I'll coat myself in cellophane and call it good.

5 comments:

Susan S. said...

LOL! Time to change up to the next size diaper!

Louise said...

Geeze, all this time that the Richter Scale has been measuring the recent earthquakes they were missing the cause. Way to go Ava!

Anonymous said...

Susan-i wonder if that is the reason. I usually put ava in disposable diapers at night and have been noticing they're a little tight through the hip. So, I've been using them up lately instead of my washable diapers. I guess there is a correlation. :)

Susan S. said...

Totally! That's always how I knew it was time for the next size...when the poop would get up the back. UHG and EW!!!

Bruce & Tina said...

Our experience is that nothing defeats blowouts. If routine craps are escaping, then it's a diaper thing. But Fort Knox couldn't hold the blowouts in our household.

I remember when we posted about this complete with link to awesome picture. I wonder if Chris has matured (see comments).