Thursday, September 20, 2007

Here kitty kitty...

We have a homeless cat who lives at the door to our apartment club house. I have named him Yogi. This cat is part bear (hence the name). You will find out shortly why. Yogi first endeared himself to me as I left the gym last Saturday morning. I walked out the door and this cute little cat stood up (he likes to lay on the carpet next to the door) and proceeded to rub himself against my leg. I reached down and petted him, causing him to make dough of the carpet. I went back inside and asked our apartment agent if he was someone's pet and he said that the cat must have been at some point since he's so tame. He said little kitty kitty had been out there for a few days, always ready to greet someone coming or going. So, I went home and told Chris to check out the cat when he went to work out. Well, needless to say, he wanted to save the little guy from hustling on the streets. Chris was fearful he'd get in with the wrong crowd of wild cats that live across the street in an abandoned building. So, that evening I was dragged back up the street to the clubhouse to feed the cat MY can of tuna. We left him that evening to slumber on the carpet with thoughts that we would call the shelters on Sunday to try and get him in. Sunday comes and Yogi still remains, although this morning the cat runs from me as I try to pet it and won't allow us to get within 5 feet. Obviously someone hurt him last night. This solidifies Chris' resolve to save little kitty kitty. I was unable to find an empty shelter so we decided to take him in ourselves. Yes, I agreed to adopt a cat. So, we prepared ourselves by going to Target and gathering the necessary supplies, including flea shampoo since kitty kitty had a nasty itch. We stopped with the car on the way home and tempted the cat to get close to us with the food. Now, at this point I'm thinking this might not be a good idea since Yogi won't come close easily, but Chris would not be deterred. So, once he seemed nice and comfortable....I attempted the kitty scoop. I picked him up (lovingly of course) and proceeded to attempt to get him in the car. This is when Yogi turned into a bear. His claws came out and tore chunks of flesh from my arm. I yell to Chris "open the door" and then "gently" toss Yogi into the back seat. At what appeared to be superkitty speed, the kitty kitty jumped at the passenger window, bounced off, flew (yes flew) past me, ran across the street and joined ranks with the wild cats behind a junked out car. Now, nice little kitty kitty continues to live on the street living the hustler life. We kept the bag of food we bought and returned the other goodies. Chris still feels bad (despite my arm missing pieces) and feeds the little bastard. Good luck kitty.


Song of the day: "Vagabond" by Unkle Bob

No comments: