Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stylist vs. Barber

Let me let all of our readers in on a little secret...for the past 4 or so years, Emily has been my "stylist", "barber", "hair-cutting person", whatever you want to refer to it as. At first it was just kind of a joke, I decided to one day early in dental school let her have at the buzzer and scissors and cut my hair. Thinking this would be a one-time event, we (mostly I) were pleasantly surprised at how good of a job she did.

I started to think...hey, why should I pay someone $15-20 every month to do this, when we can do it for free at home...thus started Emily's second job of cutting my hair.

Fast forward to the present...for over a week before Emily left me in Texas for Iowa City, she had promised that she would cut my hair before leaving, as it was getting kind of shaggy-like. Figuring that we'd eventually find some time to do it, among her packing and getting things in order, we both kind of blew it off until the last minute. The day before leaving, Emily went and got her hair cut (she had been growing it out for Johnette's wedding in Raleigh) by her "stylist", who in the veign of any good stylist, actually shaves his own head. Suffice to say, we never found time to cut my hair. So in protest, I decided to buzz it all off...yeah, all of it (well almost). Actually I was kind of curious to see what it was like, since I've never done this before, and also because its "fixin" (a Texas term) to get hot down here. With no functional air conditioner in my car, this is the poor-man's alternative.

At any rate, I think we can all agree that Emily's hair turned out better than mine. The good news is that it will grow back in time for me to re-join Emily in Iowa City, and have her once again be my "stylist".

Good haircut vs. not-so-good haircut

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me just say you don't look as bad as you made it sound over the phone. Secondly, I've actually been cutting your hair since I was a senior in college (remember the 1st time I cut it was on Lincoln). Anyways, have no fear...I will eventually fix it for you :)

Anonymous said...

I was expecting you to be totally bald! not bad for an amatuer!
Bev