So, here I am a week short of leaving Dallas. Yes, one week. Seems like just yesterday Pedro (my car) and Biggie (the moving van) ventured down south to good ole' Dallas. I thought maybe I'd reminisce a little and expound upon my personal experiences here in Dallas and share some things I've learned, experienced and maybe even miss a little...
1. Of course, the thing I'm going to miss most is Chris (awwwww...see, even I can be mushy). Since we'll be apart for over a month I'm gonna miss the little guy.
2. Friends. As much as I didn't want to become attached to people in Dallas, I'm a friendly sort of person and I've met a lot of diverse, interesting and fun people here. In remembrance they are listed here (in no particular order):
* Christi and Jason
* Jen and Ben
* Brandi and Chris
* Kristen
* and maybe even Tina a little...
3. Southern cooking. Not because I actually eat it, but because people in the South eat things I never knew existed or rather, knew could be edible.
* Chittlins (fried pig intestines)
* Raccoon
* Collard Greens (ok, every one's heard of these, but how many people do you know that actually have eaten them)
* Oxtail
* Fried coke, cappuccino, pecan pie...just about anything fried...
4. Texas slang. All y'all (plural) and y'all (singular)? I am now an expert at a new foreign language.
5. Kiddie car driving. Did you ever have an opportunity to drive/ride in a bumper car? You remember, the electric driven cars at the state fair where your main intent was to hit as many other cars with as much force as physically possible by a glorified rubber padded bucket. That's what it's like to drive in Texas. No turn signals, no auto insurance, aggressor takes all drivers in Texas. I'm lucky to have survived. Whew! Notice the green text...yeah, I started writing this post yesterday. Today, I was hit by a Texas driver. No joke. And, to make matter worse, my car was parked. We weren't even in it. Oh, and another ironic note, remember last year, around this time...we had just flown back from Texas (after my interview) and I had dropped Chris off at class then went to run errands and bam! I ate the ass of a Cadillac. This was 2 weeks short of leaving Iowa. Now, one week short of leaving Texas another accident. What message am I missing?
6. Grocery shopping. Normally not a statement you'll hear me utter, but when I'm shopping in the greatness that is Central Market, I can't help but love it. I've never eaten better in my whole life. For those of you lucky enough to experience it, you know what I'm talking about.
7. Pool time, any time. Yes, I can layout in the sun anytime from March through November (and probably any other month of the year is the temp happens to be over 70, which often is the case).
8. Working out. Ok, now who would list this as something they'll miss, but here's my explanation. I have a great, free gym right in my complex in which I can work out anytime I want. I love it! No car needed and it's so close there really is no excuse as to why you can't go. Even if it rains, I just have Chris drop me off on his way to work. Perfect!
9. Ethnic food. I've been meaning to make a post about my weekly lunches with my friend Jen. But, to as you can see, I'm just now getting to mention it. Anyways, we attempt to try a new restaurant every week, and more often than not, we attempt to try something unique. I've had Mediterranean (my fav), Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese (obviously), as well as local joints known for fab food. Yum!
10. Last but not least...the ease of shopping. Anything I ever wanted is within 15 minutes of our loft. It's going to suck moving back to Iowa where I have to drive to another town to buy something I want from a particular store. I hate shopping in general, but since I can just head out, get it and do it under 45 minutes, it's great!
Here ends by summation of all that I'll miss and/or eager to leave in Texas. It's been a great experience to try out something new, spend a year on our own, and become closer as a newly married couple. Now, if only we could decide where to move next...
Saturday, May 3, 2008
Y'all come back now, ya hear!
Posted by
Chris and Emily
at
3:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you're living in iowa next, you silly girl! i presume you mean after that. can't wait for you to get here! and you KNOW we love to take vacations (within driving distance would be good). see you saturday! mommy dearest
Post a Comment