Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Exhaustion revisited

It's 4:50am. I'm tired. No, let me rephrase that...exhausted. If there were a word more exhausting than exhausted I would be it. In fact, maybe the word is intoxicated. Yeah, that's how I feel, inebriated, only without the alcohol (if inebriation is possible without alcohol.) But anyways...you get the point. So tired, that as I'm typing I'm wondering if this makes sense and if I'm spelling things right. I'm at work, not really working, but rather sitting on my ass waiting for someone to ask me for help. I'm a "super-user" aka super loser for Epic, a new charting system that the great UIHC purchased for millions of dollars (even though we're in financial crisis). Totally sucks. Not only Epic, but working nights with nothing to do. So, here I sit, typing away, just looking for something to keep my mind from slipping into a catatonic state. The only thing this compares to is taking a patient to ultrasound after a big lunch...you don't get it unless you've done it yourself...trust me, you can't stay awake! And the problem with the whole situation is that I'll get home and be revved up from the lack of sleep so much so that I won't be able to sleep. (sounds impossible I know, but exhaustion has a nasty way of multiplying and perpetuating further sleeplessness.) And, I'm back again tonight. UGH. Will it never end?

2 comments:

Bruce said...

The best part about EPIC is how the docs will spend so much time on it that they won't have time to actually see a patient. It's pretty friggin' awesome. Take it form someone who knows (1+ years of EPIC). Word that!

Chris and Emily said...

Likewise for the nurses, plus, we then have to nag the docs about stuff they forgot...go figure