
Friday afternoon Emily and I did something rare, and went to see a matinée of Star Trek at the local movie theater. Unfortunately it wasn't in the cards to head to Davenport and see it on the IMAX screen, but nonetheless we enjoyed ourselves more than we thought we would.
For those of you that know me well, growing up, I used to be a huge fan of Star Trek...not the original series however, but rather 'The Next Generation'. The height of the show was reached when I was in junior high, and looking back on it, it seemed like a great show to be brought up on compared to what some junior high kids now watch in their spare time.
That being said, once the series ended, and of course I grew older, my interest in Star Trek waned. Then came The Next Generation movies, which seemed to be really bad, and almost a bit 'cheezy'. Was this because this was what Star Trek had always been - 'cheezy' - or had I just grown out of that phase of my life?...perhaps an affirmative to both of these.
Which is why when I heard that a new movie was going to be coming out, I was both mildly intrigued, as well as subtely expecting disappointment. I had seen what had happened to Star Wars when George Lucas revisited the series some 30 years later; now laden with Industrial Light & Magic's CGI effects that were missing in the original trilogy, and was expecting that this movie would be more of the same.
Alas, this jumpstart of the original series by J.J. Abrams was suprisingly entertaining. One does not even have to be a 'Treky' to enjoy the movie. In fact, even the political columnists of late have been writing of the parallels found between Spock and Obama.
Not to say that this movie deserves a nomination for an Academy Award or anything, but if you're looking for an entertaining, mildly funny, fast-paced ride into the background of Star Trek, than this movie is definitely worth seeing. Hell, even Emily enjoyed it, and that's saying a lot!
No comments:
Post a Comment