Friday, December 11, 2009

No, we may not have children yet but...

Since it's been mentioned by many that it's been awhile since we've posted anything on here, let me make our excuses now. First, there have been pressing issues regarding jobs and relocations that have taken up 99% of our free time. Luckily, we have that all ironed out and have time to focus back on what's really important in life. Second, babies (even before they're born) are time consuming. Here's a list of things I've been working on/ being consumed by:


1. Baby Showers: Three in total, the last one being Tuesday night with my co-workers. As wonderful as they are, most require some form of travel. Then you have to sort, organize and determine any unnecessary/duplicate items that need to be returned. Then you make the trip to the store with the items and receive your new gift card. The gift card will then be added to the already growing stack of gift cards to be used on items you don't receive at your showers but really need.


2. Baby Stuff: With all those wonderful baby gifts you receive at the shower, there are then hours of work that go into washing, drying, folding, and organizing drawers/cupboards and overall just trying to find a place for everything so that the baby isn't lost in a pile of onesies. And you'd be surprised how many times these items need to be reorganized due to receiving a new set of clothes that now need a place in the drawer. And I'm sure they'll be reorganized again when the baby is here and I find that my original placement is totally not practical when in actual use.


3. Diapers: We took a cloth diaper class in Des Moines to learn about and then purchase our nondisposable diapers. Afterwards, you get them home and then wash them the recommended EIGHT times before placing them in some sort of organized fashion that you hope will facilitate easy diaper changing.


4. Assembly: Between the bouncer, car seat (with base attachment for 2 different cars), stroller, pack-n-play, breast pump, gyminee playmat, and other random items, I've spend a lot of time assembling stuff for functional usage. Some of these things numerous times because Chris thinks it's ridiculous to have the pack-n-play already in the livingroom or the car seat already in the car. So, in my nesting urges I often find myself reassembling things 2 or 3 times.


5. Organization: If you haven't got the gist already, I'm an organization nut. I overdo, redo and undo things numerous times, often taking up several hours of one day only to end up in the exact same spot I originally started. This happens at least weekly.


6. Phone Calls: There are many calls that need to be made to prepare for a baby. Included in this is finding a pediatrician. Do I go with Mercy where I'll now have to pay a $25 copay but have more consistent doctor coverage? Or the U of I hospital where I pay only $5 and have better access specialists but will only be able to see my doctor on Thursday afternoons and at all other times likely see a resident? I'm sure the local receptionists are getting tired of my calls (in fact, today I spent 10 minutes on hold...I think they know my number). Also, with things rapidly changing with my body there have been several calls to the OB to ask "is this normal?" To which the answer always is, "yes".


7. Reading: Although your only true knowledge of how to care for a baby will come once you're actually doing that, I'm trying to prepare myself as much as possible for those little things I may not expect or remember from when my sisters were young. Some resources I've scoured the last few months include: "Husband Coached Childbirth", "What to Expect: The First Year" and "Babywise." And we're not talking pamphlets here...more like 500 pages or more per book.


8. Sleep: Since I've still been working and actually picking up extra shifts, I'm exhausted most all of the time. Plus, working night shift disrupts my sleep for up to 2 days after I've been working. This is not friendly to a pregnant body. Luckily my last night shift is tonight. Plus, I work 12 hour shifts, so you can imagine how exhausting it must be to be on your feet for 12 hours, lifting patients all while standing on a concrete floor.


The good news is that all this "stuff" and lack of sleep is preparing me for parenthood. Right? Oh wait, I guess there will eventually be a baby thrown in there with their own set of rules, sleep schedules, demands, and of course assembly of more unsavory things than a stroller. But for now, I'll get as much sleep as I can and reorganize to my hearts content.

No comments: