Thursday, July 31, 2008

PROergo Prophy

If your idea of a fun afternoon is getting your teeth cleaned by an expert hygienist with the aid of a $100,000 Zeiss PROergo microscope hovering over your body, then dentistry is probably a career that you might want to look into...

One might think that being a dentist affords you the ability to have the best dental care, getting a cleaning whenever it suits you. However, this assumption could not be farther from the truth. In reality, I had not had a cleaning in over a year and a half. Mostly this is due to my own schedule, but also due in large part to the fact that I'm blessed genetically to have little tendency for calculus ("tarter") buildup.

Well, for the past few months, I could not wait to get my teeth cleaned, and today it finally happened, with the aid of an invaluable piece of equipment with which I plan to practice with in private practice...the surgical microscope. Even though it took twice as long, Nancy was pretty sure that she had removed every spec of stain and buildup that one can see when teeth are magnified over 20x. Even the Zeiss rep jumped in the chair for some fun...we complimented her on her excellent keratinized gingiva, things only nerds like us could get hot over.

No comments: