Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sweet Home Chicago

After getting back in one piece to Iowa City (there's a side story to our move that likely will be posted about in the near future) and doing some painting at the condo (which turned out great), I decided to head back to Chicago for a while to catch up with family and friends before starting my new position at the university.

After meeting with a dentist for lunch on monday to look at his office's portrait photography setup, tuesday found me taking the train downtown to meet Jeff Kessler for lunch and some relaxation in Millenium Park.

It has been what seems like a long time since I was last downtown in Chicago, and moments after getting off the train I quickly found myself comparing notes on Chicago and Dallas. It's probably not fair of me to compare the two, but I still couldn't help myself. Both are interesting cities for their own respective characteristics, but you can't help but be taken in by the sense of dynamism that is inherint to Chicago.

At any rate, after enjoying a great burger and conversation with Jeff at the Park Grill, I decided to linger downtown in the park for a few more hours. On the west side of the park there is a great natural area where there are wildflowers framing the skyline along with the concert pavilion, and of course I had my camera, so I spent some time shooting there. The best part of the park though was listening to the CSO rehearse in the pavilion. There's a giant lawn area, and so I just layed down, closed my eyes, and worked on my farmer's tan while listening to some great music. Sitting there listening the symphony rehearse, it reminded me of a great article that I had read from a photographer's website. My only thought was that there weren't enough days like today.


"Song of the day"

No comments: